Monday, June 20, 2005

Speed Limits

While we were in Florida my wife Jill noticed something. The speed limits in Florida are higher than in Texas.

I am very aware of this fact, because when I moved to Houston one of my first thoughts was,
"Why are the speed limits so ridiculously low."

I would drive down a road going 45 mph and realize the speed limit was 35 mph. I would always think,
"That can't be right, the speed limit should be at LEAST 45 mph, maybe even 50 mph or 55 mph."

Well, while we were in Florida Jill had the exact opposite problem. She was always saying that the speed limits were too HIGH. She kept thinking people were driving way too fast.

Of course, there were other differences. In Florida, Yellow lights mean "speed up", and red lights aren't really red if they have only been red for less than 5 seconds. It's not until a red light has been red for more than 5 seconds that it is really red in Florida. In Houston, that's not the case.

One last difference she noticed was that you can make U-Turns everywhere in Florida, but it's not like that on Texas roads. In regards to this she commented,
"Now, I see why you are always trying to make U-Turns, because you CAN make U-Turns everywhere in Florida".

After living here eight years, I am still getting used to Houston driving. I do miss being able to make U-Turns everywhere and being able to get places faster, but I am probably more likely to get places in one piece here in Houston.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home