Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Texas is better than NY

I talked briefly yesterday about this story and I decided that I had to talk about it a LITTLE bit more.

For those who haven't read the article, New York is considering tracking all diabetics to make sure they go to the doctor, etc. Talk about invasion of privacy!

They claim they are doing this to try and save the State money. Please! I mean how much money is it going to cost to track that many people? Now, it might increase the number of government jobs and cut down a little on unemployment. But how does that save taxpayers money?

If tracking people to make sure they aren't going to be a burden on the finances of the State is the real issue, then they should track EVERYBODY.

Have you seen the movie "SuperSize Me"? Anyone could eat badly and cause all kinds of problems to their body that would potentially cost taxpayers money. Smokers, alcohol drinkers, coffee drinkers, those who are overweight, those who don't exercise, those who over exercise, people with other diseases, etc, all should be tracked.

Diabetes isn't even the leading cause of death in this country. Heart attacks are the greatest killer in the United States! More people die of heart attacks than of gun shots, cancer, AIDS, diabetes, car accidents, etc. Shouldn't we track those who have heart problems and/or high blood pressure?

One thing, I am certain of is that there can't possibly be any lobbyist behind this potential new law in NY. I mean all the big drug companies wouldn't have ANYTHING to gain from diabetics taking their medicine, would they?

If I was running for President I would not take campaign money from anyone. I would not want to owe anyone (the drug companies, the lawyers, the food industry, doctors, ...) anything. I would want to do what I thought was right, not what someone paid me to do. If this potential new law in NY isn't influenced by medical lobbyist, then what kind of people do they have running NY? I can understand when lobbyist money is influencing this kind of decision, but if someone in the NY government came up with this crazy idea by themselves... Yikes. What were they thinking?

Now you might be wondering what's up with the title of this post, "Texas is better than NY".

I am glad you asked.

There is no way a Texas politician would be dumb enough to bring up anything about tracking people in the great State of Texas. You see, Texas is the most conservative state in the Union. As such it is also the most FREE State in the Union. We don't have nearly as many regulations and rules as some other states (especially the really liberal ones). We are so free in Texas that there are some people who think we aren't even part of the United States (but that's another story).

If someone in the Texas legislature were to bring up the idea of tracking us, you would have what we call around these parts a "shotgun march" on the capitol. That's where all us Texans march to the capitol in Austin with our shotguns in hand. When we all get there we ask a simple question like:

"Where's the fella that wants to track us? We've got a present for him."

It keeps the politicians in there place (ie. doing what the people want them to, not the lobbyist).

Texas is the only State that can fly it's flag at the same height as the US flag. There's a reason for that, we are our own country. Maybe not legally, but for all intents and purposes we are. If I were President, I wouldn't mess with Texas.

Special Notes about this Post:
* I grew up in Florida, but after living here for about nine years Texas has really grown on me.
* This is the edited (subdued) version of my feelings on this topic.
* I made up the term "shotgun march" to get my point across. We don't really have anything like that in Texas, because nobody's dumb enough to suggest something like tracking us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home