Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Advice for Dads to Be

Now that our newest edition to the household is getting older (almost 4 months) I decided to let all of the men out their know the most important things I have learned about pregnancy and child birth. After going through FOUR births I think I am qualified to give advice on this topic. This is my advice for dads to be out there and any man who plans on getting married and having a family.

Here goes, this is my top ten tidbits of advice for Dads to be:

1. Never, ever, ever, steal food away from a pregnant woman.

2. During labor, don't ask your wife lot's of questions like:

"How are you feeling honey?"

"What did the doctor just say?"

"What does a contraction feel like?"

"When is this going to be done, the game starts in 20 minutes?"

"I am tired, when is a good time for me to take a nap?"

3. Apparently, watching "Tin Cup" with your wife's OB-GYN and talking about golf with him while your wife is in labor, is a big no-no. (This happened with the first baby we had)

4. Never, tell your wife how tired, worn out, and exhausted you are (especially when she is pushing).

5. During labor, don't run any errand that takes longer than 10 minutes.

6. NEVER disagree with your wife when she is in labor. This is also a good rule while your wife is pregnant, but during labor it's a MUST.

7. After the baby is born and the baby needs his/her first diaper changed in the middle of night, don't say "I don't know how to change diapers, you are going to have to change all the diapers." (Especially not good if she had a long hard induced labor).

8. During the Pregnancy don't comment on your wife's weight (good or bad). If she asks about it, just change topics. It's a no-win situation.

9. NEVER, EVER, EVER, complain about how tired you are while your wife is in labor. (I know I already covered that, but this one is really important to remember unless you want to give birth to your next child.)

10. Fill in the blank ... (this one is for your wife to fill in. In other words, ask her what she needs from you. WARNING: Not doing this may result in the same consequence as number 9 in this list).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home