Friday, September 30, 2005

Weather Wars

A reader of this blog wanted to know what I thought about the conpsiracy theories that Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Katrina were a result of some sort of climate control by those who wanted to ruin the US economy. A mailing list my wife is on has been discussing this and she sent me a link to this blog that talks about the possibility that the Hurricanes were weather warfare.

So here is my take on things. It is certainly a possibility. Science continues to advance at a staggering rate and it is certainly within the realm of possibility that these storms were an attack on our country. It is also possible that a group of people used witchcraft or voodoo to create these storms or that they are a result of God's wrath or that nature produced these hurricanes with no help from man. Anything is possible.

The problem with conspiracies is that there is just no way to prove them. Once they have been proven they are no long cospiracy theories they are facts. My guess is that somewhere between 1 in 10 to 1 in 1000000 conspiracy theories are actually factual.

My personal opinion is that unless you plan on doing something about a particular theory, like help prove or disprove it, then your time is better spent doing other things (like reading my blog). Conspiracy theories can be interesting to read, but most conspiracy theories I have come across focus on using fear to hook you into wanting to learn more. I don't think that focusing on this fear is a good thing and therefore don't believe people should spend much time reading about conspiracy theories. Unless you plan on researching them and finding sound evidence to prove or disprove them, they mostly just waste your time.

I used to read lots of conspiracy theories and eventually I realized how much of a time waster they were. For the most part they only benefited those selling books about the theories and either entertained or spread fear in those reading the books.

BTW - You might have noticed this post was spawned by the fact I have a regular reader. Yes you read that right, I couldn't believe it. I thought my only audience was myself and maybe a few ants who are planning ways to keep me from becoming President.

Later...

1 Comments:

Blogger gmanty said...

I am glad you like it.

George

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home